**Most of this blog is for girls only! Any boys, please only read the posts linked to in the "For Boys" page on the sidebar. Thank you.**

Monday 21 July 2014

On having it all.


"She's got it all!" 

 I've been musing a little over this recently. When did it start.... hmm, not really sure.... But it has just come into my head recently as I look in the mirror at myself - "You know, I could 'have it all!'" Let me tell you a story I think illustrate's this pondering perfectly...

I was invited to a 1950's-themed party recently. In keeping with my personality, I chose to go all-out with a costume, not just wear some read lipstick or whatever. So I coated my lashes in mascara, tied a scarf around my head and pulled out a purple swing-skirt that we've had in the dress-ups since I can remember. And then I found the darkest, most red-ish shade of lipstick in our house (we don't actually own straight, glaring red, I discovered), and painted my lips. And BANG. I transformed into a 50s rock 'n' roll teen - flaring skirt, voluminous hair, swinging hips, boys hanging of my arm and.... WAIT A MINUTE! No, I didn't go that far. But for a second, I caught a glimpse of what I could be, if I chose. I could 'have it all.' Tight cloths, a new boyfriend every week, a pouting mouth, and all those other things that were glorified back in the 50's rock 'n' roll culture, and still are now.

 I stared at myself in the mirror for a moment, and asked myself, "Why aren't I like that, again?" Not because I was unsure of the answer, but because I knew it would do me good to hear it stated directly again. It's all to easy to lose sight of why we do what we do, are what we are, dress like we dress, act like we act, etc.

~~~~~~~~~

 I reminded myself that I am not of this world because the world is not all there is. There is more. There is God. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind." (1 John 1:1-4)

 I reminded myself that knowing this God is way, WAY, WAY better than anything the world has to offer. I have the King of the universe as my Friend and Security and Peace and Joy and Righteousness! He holds out eternal, priceless jewels; the world, stinking piles of temporary rubbish. "What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead." (Philippians 3:8-11)

 I reminded myself of who I was going to see at that party - God's gifts that I am so very privileged to know as friends. I smiled as I reminded myself that I have their respect. Their respect! How does the selfish attention of a dozen boys, or materialism compare to the respect of true friends who see deeper than the surface and love me for, and despite, what they see?! "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1)

~~~~~~~~~

I thought of 'having it all.' My insides curdled, all but that one tiny spot that lusts for it, that sin-nature that my God has conquered. I thought of amazing Grace, of ridiculous Love, of inexplicable Joy, of eternal Hope. My heart shone. My spirit glowed with joy and satisfaction. I DO have it all! No, not 'all,' ALL!! And I smiled at myself in the mirror because I am not of this world, I am not a sleazy 1950s teen. I am Cassie. Purity and God and ALL!

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade." (1 Peter 1:3-4a)


Cassie xoxoxo


P.S. OK people, just got into Anthem Lights! These guys are incredible! In voice, and, above all, in their standards of faith! Far from being just the 'yeh, God's there, but I'm still gonna sing like I believe it's about me' these guys express such profound truths in their music. Check out "Hide Your Love Away" (and you MUST see the 'behind the song' for this!), " and "Follow Your Heart." These are basically two of my strongest convictions put into song. INCREDIBLE and such an encouragement! Also "That's What I'm Looking For" is awesome too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi all! Thanks for visiting! I'd absoloutly LOVE it if you would leave a comment, especially if you live outside Australia, I'd love to know that people in other countries enjoy my blog!!
Please be careful about what you say. Thanks!