**Most of this blog is for girls only! Any boys, please only read the posts linked to in the "For Boys" page on the sidebar. Thank you.**

Wednesday 12 November 2014

Entrusted, Not Given

{Photo credit to Kris and Flickr Creative Commons}
So today I was reading "Money, Possessions and Eternity" by Randy Alcorn (amazing book, must-read if you haven't already, highly challenging!). And I read this passage:

"Servants should be acutely aware that they are not the owners, or the masters, but only caretakers or money managers. It's their job to take the assets entrusted (not given) to them and use them wisely to care for and expand the master's estate."
~Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn, pg 148.

 When I saw that phase, "not given," I immediately thought of something I'd been pairing the word 'given' with in my head recently. 

 Friendships.

I've had a few interesting (and awesome!) situations recently where God has very clearly 'given' me a renewed/enriched friendship with different friends. For example, an old friend contacted me again, and so we've been chatting more. Two of my friendships have grown deeper in the past few weeks. I was getting (internally) frustrated with another friend, because they had stopped initiating conversations. After wrestling with it, I asked God, "If you want this friendship to go ahead, please make them initiate." Next day, they initiated twice. And then again the next day. Pretty clear answer!

 So anyway, I kept thinking to myself, "Wow, God has been so good in giving me these friendships!" That is, until I read the above passage. And realised that God had not 'given' them to me. He had entrusted them to me!  My first reaction was, "Oooohhhh!!! So they're not 'mine,' they're His, and I need to grow and nurture them for His glory! And yes, God has designed it so that some of my need for love and companionship is filled (though it can ultimately only be filled by God), but these friendships are tools for His glory, just like money!" And my second reaction was, "Oh my goodness, God considers me worthy enough to entrust me relationships? Woah... what a responsibility!" And obviously He helps us steward and navigate relationships, just like He helps us steward money. But it was quite a revelation just putting them in this 'stewardship' light. My friendships are not mine at all (except in the sense that they involve me). They are God's, and His to use how He wishes through me.


Cassie xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Great post. A good reminder that all we have has been "entrusted" to us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting post! hadn't thought about friendships that way before...certainly a huge responsibility...and so easy to mess up!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi all! Thanks for visiting! I'd absoloutly LOVE it if you would leave a comment, especially if you live outside Australia, I'd love to know that people in other countries enjoy my blog!!
Please be careful about what you say. Thanks!